You may not think about them often, but bathroom ceiling fans contribute to a significant number of home fires each year. Dust and lint have the tendency to build up on the fan motors which prevents the motor heat from dissipating and may lead to ignition of the dust and lint. This problem is also common with dryer vents where excess lint accumulation has the potential to ignite. Be sure to check and clean these vents yearly! If your bathroom fan is running unusually loud, there is a good chance it needs attention and you may even need to replace it - better safe than sorry! In addition, the following tips can help keep you and your family safe.
- Keep several fire extinguishers in the house - preferably one on each level.
- Replace smoke-detector batteries at least annually.
- Shut off the dryer, washer, dishwasher, etc. before leaving the house.
- Use a metal vent pipe for the dryer rather than plastic.